Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's 06:00 in the morning and the only sound I can hear is the coffee maker. Ahead is a day of checking on ferments and freshly destemmed grapes, tasting some tanks that may need pressing soon and figuring out a barrel program. It's harvest time again.

It's been a while since I posted and in that time I've made my way back to Oregon for another vintage among the vineyards I know best.
Often the path home does not follow a straight line, and this time that path took me to Mongolia. Mongolia does not sound like the kind of place where a winemaker would travel to explore wine. And, in fact, it is not. However, Mongolians love their fermented mare's milk, distilled yogurt vodka and a variety of other liquid treasures that would be difficult to find on the Spectators top 100.


Stay tuned....

No comments: